Helpful Tips for Parents
Important things to remember when helping your children to develop their language skills:
- Read to them, talk about the pictures and ask "wh" questions (who, what, where, when, why)
- Encourage your children to use labels at home.
- Refrain from finishing your child's sentences.
- Model speech that is at an appropriate rate. Remember to take pauses.
- Ask your children specific questions about their day. For example: What did you play at recess today?
- For older children, ask higher level questions to expand upon their thinking. For example: What did you think about ....
- Provide lots of praise!