2019-2020 NYSSMA SPRING SOLO FESTIVAL DATES
NYSSMA Solo Adjudication Festival: Friday, May 15 and Saturday, May 16 at Bronxville High School
- Levels 1 - 6 and All-State: All Band instruments, All Voices. All-State Strings ONLY. NO Jazz, Jazz Piano, Guitar, or Harp. NO PIANO. NO Level 1 - 4 Strings.
- Contact me for registration information.
- All Jazz (including Piano), all Guitar, and all Harp will be adjudicated on April 24 and 25 at Sleepy Hollow High School. Contact me for registration information.
NYSSMA Strings Levels 1 - 4 Solo Adjudication Festival: Friday, March 27 and Saturday, March 28 at Edgemont Junior/Senior High School
- Contact Susan Lee-Chong for registration information.
NYSSMA Piano Solo Adjudication Festival: Friday, May 1 and Saturday, May 2 at Lakeland High School
- Contact Frank Squillante for registration information.
- All registrations will open in the spring, we will post the registration dates when the dates become available to us.
- ALL NYSSMA REGISTRATION IS COMPLETED THROUGH THE APPROPRIATE SCHOOL MUSIC TEACHER. No parents or private teachers may contact the hosts of the festivals.
What is the NYSSMA Solo Adjudication Festival?
The New York State School Music Association sponsors adjudication festivals throughout the state. The Solo Festival was created so students could be uniformly evaluated across New York State. Students - with their private teachers - select a leveled solo (Level 1, easy to Level 6, most difficult) from the NYSSMA Manual and prepare the solo and scales to perform for a NYSSMA-certified adjudicator. The adjudication - usually 10 to 15 minutes - also includes a sight-reading component. The adjudicator’s written evaluation reinforces what the student does well and gives constructive criticism that will promote musical progress.
NYSSMA Solo Festival grades are also used in the selection process for Intermediate All-County Music Ensembles (grades 7 - 9), and Area All-State and All-State Ensembles (high school). Participation in these festivals can be listed on college applications and are often put on student resumes to highlight student musical participation and achievement.
Elementary NYSSMA Solo Festival participation is non-competitive and provides the opportunity for students to work independently to challenge their own achievement in a uniformly scaled adjudication with a caring professional adjudicator. The adjudication adds a healthy pinch of that spice of challenge and achievement that helps train students to meet other challenges in their futures. Supportive parents who help their child practice regularly before NYSSMA and help their child learn to self-monitor their own work and progress are giving their children a great experience that will carry forward in their child's life.
Any questions? Please email me firstname.lastname@example.org