Math Unit 3
Our third math unit, How Many Stickers? How Many Cents? focuses on understanding place value and using it to solve addition and subtraction problems.
In this unit students will:
- Solve put together/take apart story problems with both addends unknown, and find all the possible combinations
- Solve put together/take apart story problems with one addend unknown
- Solve two-step story problems about money
- Understand that 100 can be seen as 1 hundred, as 10 tens, and as 100 ones
- Understand that multiples of 100 (e.g., 200, 300, 400, etc.) are made up of a number (2,3,4, etc.) of hundreds
- Solve story problems with an unknown change
- Solve story problems with an unknown start
- Fluently add and subtract within 20
Ways to Help at Home: Games are a central part of the Investigations curriculum. Printed and digital versions of games will be made available. Please play these games often as they provide engaging opportunities for children to develop concepts and practice skills.
Please also continue to practice adding and subtraction within 20. We have been focusing on using known facts to add/subtract single-digit numbers, relating the doubles and near-doubles facts, and developing fluency with Plus 10 and Minus 10 facts.