First grade scientists learn how to observe, record, and interpret information like scientists. They learn to identify and utilize tools in the science classroom. As scientists, we will be focusing on exploring and explaining different phenomenons. The children will apply the skills they learn as they work in cooperative groups, delegating jobs and sharing the tasks.
The performance expectations in first grade help students formulate answers to questions such as:
- What happens when materials vibrate?
- What happens when there is no light?
- What are some ways plants and animals meet their needs so that they can survive and grow?
- How are parents and their children similar and different?
- What objects are in the sky and how do they seem to move?