Ardsley's Allergy Protocols
The Ardsley School District is committed to providing a safe environment for all students. In 2019, Policy 7521, “Students with Life-Threatening Health Conditions,” was amended and adopted. We have worked diligently with the community, through an open parent meeting and a district wide survey, to develop and update our allergy protocols on a building-level basis. Our goal was to provide a safe and healthy learning environment for students with food allergies made known to the school by reducing the likelihood of severe or potentially life-threatening allergic reactions and ensuring a rapid and effective response.
These clearly defined protocols have been designed to:
- Encourage developmentally appropriate independence and be tailored to the student body in each school.
- Provide a safe and healthy learning environment for students with food allergies made known to the school;
- Reduce the likelihood of severe or potentially life-threatening allergic reactions;
- Ensure a rapid and effective response in the case of a severe or potentially life threatening allergic reaction, and;
- Protect the rights of food allergic students to participate in all school activities.
Together we can reduce the risk of accidental exposure to food allergens while students are at school. Effective prevention and treatment plans, proper procedures, well-trained staff and clear communication with families and staff can save lives.